Data Protection Notice
One of your rights under law is that you must be informed when your personal data is processed (collected, used, stored) by any organization. You also have the right to know the details and purpose of that processing.
Some of the services offered on our website require the processing of your personal data. In such cases, links are available directing you to the specific information about the processing contained in the relevant data protection notices.
Your Personal Data and Our Website
- The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation collects your personal information only to the extent necessary to execute a specific task such as signing you up for our mailing list or responding to a contact request;
- The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation may use your personal data for direct marketing purposes;
- The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation will not reuse your personal information for any other purpose than what is stated at the point of collection;
- The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation will put in place measures to guarantee that your data is kept up-to-date and processed securely;
- Under certain conditions outlined by law, The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation may disclose your information to third parties, (such as the European Anti-Fraud Office, the Court of Auditors, or law enforcement authorities) if it is necessary and proportionate for lawful, specific purposes;
- You have the right to access your personal information, to have it corrected and the right to recourse; at any time if you believe your data protection rights have been breached;
- The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation does not keep your personal information for longer than necessary to execute the specific task for which it was collected;
- However, The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation may keep your information for a longer period for historical, statistical or scientific purposes with the appropriate safeguards in place.
Cookies are short text files stored on a user’s device (such as a computer, tablet or phone) by a website.
Cookies are used for the technical functioning of a website or for gathering statistics.
Cookies are also typically used to provide a more personalized experience for a user. For example, when an online service remembers your user profile without you having to login.
When you visit descendantsfoundation.org, we may collect some data on your browsing experience such as your IP address, the website page(s) you visited, when you visited, and the website page you were referred from. This information is used to gather aggregated and anonymous statistics with a view to improving our services and to enhancing your user experience.
When you visit this website, we will keep the browser history of your visit for a maximum of 12 months. This information will then be deleted.
Should you wish to opt your data out of our anonymized, aggregated statistics, you can find more information here.
Cookies in Use on descendants.org
These cookies are essential to the functionality of this website and cannot be disabled
|SSES*||descendants.org||Preserves logged-in visitor's states across page requests|
|cookie-agreed||descendants.org||Registers whether or not the visitor has agreed to accept cookies|
Tracking/Analytics and Customization Cookies
These cookies collect information about visits and traffic sources that is used to help us understand how our website is performing and being utilized by visitors. These cookies may also apply customizations in order to enhance your experience.
|_ga||descendants.org||Google Analytics: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website|
|_gid||descendants.org||Google Analytics: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website|
|_gat||descendants.org||Google Analytics: Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate|
|_ga_jrs||descendants.org||Google Analytics: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website|
|_gat_ga_jrs_tracker||descendants.org||Google Analytics: Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate|
We use social media to present our work through widely used and contemporary channels. For instance, you can watch videos, which we upload to our YouTube page and follow links from our website to Google, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Cookies are not set by our display of social media buttons to connect to those services when our website pages are loaded on your computer (or other devices) or from components from those services embedded in our web pages.
Each social media channel has their own policy on the way they process your personal data when you access their sites. For example, if you choose to watch one of our videos on YouTube, you will be asked for explicit consent to accept YouTube cookies; if you look at our Twitter activity on Twitter, you will be asked for explicit consent to accept Twitter cookies; the same applies for Google, Facebook and LinkedIn.
If you have any concerns or questions about their use of your personal data, you should read their privacy policies carefully before using them.
Links to other websites
Social Media Cookies
The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation uses social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Google, YouTube and LinkedIn to strengthen our online presence and visibility.
- You can watch videos, which we upload (embed) to our YouTube page. You can also follow links from our website to social media platforms;
- In order to watch a video on our website, a message will alert you that you need to accept YouTube cookies to do so. YouTube has its own cookie and privacy policies over which we have no control. There is no installation of cookies from YouTube until you consent to YouTube cookies;
This site has activated IP anonymization, which means Google will truncate/anonymize the last octet of a visitor’s IP address. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be sent to and shortened by Google servers in the USA.
On behalf of the The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation, Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators, and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage to the website provider. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
By default, the browsing experience of website visitors is tracked by Google Analytics in order to produce anonymized statistics.
You can prevent Google’s collection and use of data (cookies and IP address) by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. Please note that on this website, Google Analytics code is supplemented by “gat._anonymizeIp();” to ensure an anonymized collection of IP addresses (so called IP-masking).
Do Not Track Preferences
Do not track is a function that allows visitors to opt out from being tracked by websites for any purpose including the use of analytics services, advertising networks and social platforms. Do not track options are available in a number of browsers including:
If you enable do not track in your web browser, Google Analytics will respect your choice, and you will not be tracked. This is in addition to you opting-out of the aggregation and analysis of data for our website statistics.
If you have disabled all cookies from your browser, we will still collect some general data about your browsing (e.g. a record of a visitor to our website) but they will be less accurate and your visit will not be tracked.
Notice of Breach
If a security breach causes an unauthorized intrusion into our system that materially affects you or your personal data, The Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation will notify you as soon as possible (within 72 hours of discovery) and follow up with a notice of any action(s) taken in response.
If you have any questions or comments, or if you want to update, delete, or change any Personal Information we hold, or you have a concern about the way in which we have handled any privacy matter, please contact us by email at email@example.com or postal mail at:
Descendants Truth & Reconciliation Foundation
616 Harding Boulevard, Suite 108
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
We will give an individual access to any personal data we hold about them within 30 days of any request for that information. Individuals may request to access, correct, amend or delete information we hold about them by contacting us above. Unless it is prohibited by law, we will remove any personal data from our servers at your or their request. There is no charge for an individual to access or update their personal data.